Thursday 6 March 2014

Finding out what a parrot's favourite treat is

A quick, short post. I have mentioned before about finding out your parrots's favourite treat, however I thought I would elaborate. Here's a few ideas...

For smaller parrots, try millet. Hang some in their cage near their favourite perch and let them get used to it (if they're not already, however, most small birds will take to it immediately). Once they're readily accepting millet you can use it cut into shorter pieces or individual balls as you won't need a whole spray. I like to use millet for budgies, parrotlets, lovebirds, cockatiels and other birds of a similar size. Some larger birds do like it but the small seeds make an excellent treat for your little ones

For larger birds, place numerous food items in a bowl in your parrot's cage. What does your bird eat first? What is your bird looking for? What does he eat the most? Keep a close eye on them eating. Remove the favourite food from the general every day diet if it is something they get often. This will motivate them to work for it more, as they know it's what they want and they won't get it any other way! With larger birds I use small, cut up pieces of fruit (apples, grapes and mango are usually the favourites) as well as nuts and favourite seeds 

If you are feeding your bird to a schedule, like I have mentioned in previous posts, then your bird's normal meals can become a training reward. I have offered my birds a bowl of chop for a few seconds so they can take a beakfull and continue, it does work


Smaller birds are easily persuaded with millet!

During hormonal times, you will find that birds typically prefer treats with more protein. Clyde, an orange winged Amazon, would eat anything before his season came but as soon as it hit he was only interested in nuts

A lot of the time, people don't know what to use as a training treat for lories and lorikeets. I have found that a grape cut into four can make an awesome reward and they readily accept them. A bite of apple is also welcome. I myself have used puréed fruit/veg baby food (intended for humans, 100% organic and no added ingredients) and fed them from the small packet/bottle things they come in. They have a nozzle where a child would suck the juice from and lories/lorikeets love to shove their tongue down there! 

I know this isn't a long, detailed post. I apologise for that, but I wrote it some time back and forgot to add to it and post it (right now it's getting pretty late) so I'm rambling a bit! I hope the post helps, just a little, to push you in the right direction  

No comments:

Post a Comment